Always fancied trying roller skating lessons in Colchester?. Well, Rollerworld has been taken over by Demon Xtreme Sports, Jason and Anne the new owners have been teaching people to skate for over 30 years. They will be bringing their skating expertise into Rollerworld and sharing it with you in our learn to skate lessons.
If you are looking to learn to skate. Whether it’s for your own personal achievement, or so that you can enjoy skating confidently during our public sessions, experiencing all that Rollerworld has to give and more. These are the lessons for you!.
Our aim is to get you to a point where you can skate confidently; forwards, backwards, stopping, crossing over and turning. After completing the course (when you are ready) we will be introducing you to some Roller sports coaches that you may want to follow with your new skating skills!. These will range from Roller Derby, Hockey, Artistic, Freestyle, Speed Skating and Jamming.
To apply for the next course of lessons book below!
As you complete each award, you will be receiving a Rollerworld certficate as a marker of your progression.
6 x 40-minute lessons
Our lessons are a 6-week course with a lesson on each Sunday. Sometimes there can be breaks in the week, so please make sure you check the lesson dates list for all dates!.
£49.90 for all 6 lessons
Our lessons are sold as a bundle, so we can help you throughout your journey of learning to skate.
The total price includes skate hire if required.
Bronze & Silver Awards:
Arrival Time: 5.15pm
Rink Time: 5:20pm – 6:00pm
Gold & Sport Awards:
Arrival Time: 5:50pm
Rink Time: 6:00pm to 6:40pm
Current Lesson Dates
Book your space by clicking book now on your choice of lesson dates.
Please take note of all lesson dates and times above so you don’t miss out.
Having trouble booking?
Give us a call on 01206 868 868 or contact us here.
The New Rollerworld Skating Grades
Bronze Award Goal
To be able to skate around the rink without holding on to the barrier, using both feet to skate, with your knees bent and your eyes facing forward and looking up at all times
- Get up from the floor in the correct manner, so as not to injure yourself or cause injury to others.
- Good skating stance (toes, knees, nose) Keep your knees bent, eyes looking straight ahead with your heels together and toes pointing outwards whilst moving forward.
- Skate using a Snake Pattern, moving with both feet whilst making a snake pattern with BOTH feet.
- Moving forward, lifting one foot after the other, in a skating motion. Balancing on one foot after the other for 3 seconds.
FARS Equivalent: Grade 1-2
Silver Award Goal
To be able to skate in a forward motion, lifting both feet alternatively. Be able to stop confidently from speed and be able to go backwards a little.
- Moving forwards around a circle bringing your feet together and pushing outward in a skating motion.
- Learning to stop using a T-stop on both the left and right skate.
- Skating forward on alternative feet and going into a Little Man position, with knees bent as far as they can go, holding for at least 3 meters.
- Pushing off from the wall going backwards, using a Snake Pattern, using both feet equally. You should be able to do this for at least 10 meters.
FARS Equivalent: Grade 3
Gold Award Goal
To be able to skate forwards, backwards, turn to backwards from forwards and vice-versa confidently, be able to stop in a controlled manner using both T-stop and stoppers and be able to cross over correctly when skating around the rink in both directions.
- Skating across the rink and turning from forwards to backwards and stopping using your stoppers (or backwards snow plough for inlines)
- Skating backwards using both feet alternatively, toes out and lifting your feet into the centre each time.
- Going around in a circle, be able to cross over right over left and left over right in a forward motion.
- Balance on one leg at a time for at least 10 meters without too much wobble.
FARS Equivalent: Grade 4-5
Sports Award GoalThe purpose of the Sports Award is to start preparing you to take your basic skating skills into Roller Sports, such as Roller Derby, Hockey, Artistic, Speed Skating, Freestyle or Jamming.
- Turn from front to backwards, both ways, and back again
- Skate backwards around the rink in both directions using an inside sweep motion
- Perform an Outside Barrel Roll
- Perform an Inside Barrel Roll
- Sprint the width of the rink stopping within touching distance of the barrier, then sprinting back again without hesitation.